Pledged - Drugs, Alcohol, and Sex - Part 1

 One of the things that really surprised me about Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities was the descriptions regarding drugs, alcohol, and sex. These are always touchy subjects when it comes to student organizations, and Greek organizations are often portrayed as some of the most over the top offenders. Again, my experiences were very different from those in the book. For this blog, I'll break it down by topic. 

Drugs

Drugs are a huge deal in colleges, and high schools, and the outside world. We're a generation raised where current celebrities (our potential role models) gain their fame by being over the top. This usually involves being very open to drug use. A frightening number of youth say they want to be just like Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber, and many seem to believe that habitual drug use is normal or even "cool". 

That said, Pledged still describes a very different experience than I witnessed at school. Pledged describes one chapter's "drug room" (an experience that reminded me more of the tv show Blue Mountain State than real life). This "drug room" was a room in the chapter house filled with various drugs that sisters could go in and use depending on their mood and what they felt was needed at the time. These drugs varied from marijuana to cocaine to prescription medications. 

I can honestly say I never saw anything of the sort at my university. At my school drugs were frowned upon. You certainly couldn't have them in a chapter house (not unless you wanted to get arrested and have your chapter shut down). Even if you had drugs in an off campus house you ran the risk of having charges brought against you and opening an investigation into your chapter. 

However, I've never heard of sorority women at my school getting into trouble in this way. Any Greek members that did were frowned upon by the rest of the community. Drug use was not a stereotype we wanted any part of, and if you negated our positive impacts in the community with your drug use then we weren't overly fond of you. 

My university's Greek Life worked very hard while I was there to stand up for our values, our pillars: Leadership, Scholarship, Service/Philanthropy, and Brotherhood/Sisterhood. Possessing large quantities of drugs did not make you a leader or a scholar, was not a service to the community, and was a betrayal of your brotherhood/sisterhood that stood for so much more. 

Drug usage is a huge deal, but yes on occasion it did occur. However, it was never something we approved of, and certainly not something we advocated ourselves. 

Drug problems are a big deal (that's worth repeating). If you think a friend may have a drug problem speak up, reach out. Most, if not all, campuses should have resources for you to use that will help you get help for your friend. Do your research. You may save a life. 

Comments

  1. So a friend of mine pointed out that her experiences were very different from mine. She witnessed quite a bit more drug use than I did when she was in school only a few years before me.
    However, she did point out that the majority of what she witnessed was not performed by sorority women. This may be because as a sorority woman you are not only accountable to yourself but also your sisters and your national organization. You receive positive peer pressure from the positive women you recruit.
    Now, I've been told I make it sound like drug use didn't happen. It did and does. However, I did not witness anything as intense as the experiences described in Pledged. I'd only even heard rumors of one sorority woman using cocaine and in my four years at school I have never seen it. The majority of what I did see involved occasional marijuana usage. The women I did know that partook in this, did it responsibly. And for every woman I met that had tried it, I'd met another woman who had quit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts