Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities - A Review

So I recently picked up a book at my local thrift store: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities.  I won't lie, when I bought it my immediate reaction was "TSM buying up the lies so others won't be exposed to them." After I brought it home though, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to read some of it.

At first, in the Introduction, Alexandra Robbins (the author) explains how she gets a lot of hate mail from sorority women who refuse to read her book. She also claims that many sorority women that have read it write to her about having similar experiences to the women in her book.

Well, now, I couldn't be one of the women who just bashed it without at least doing a little bit of research. It's just not my style. So I decided to actually read the book.

I'm currently on page 131 of 339. So far, I'm finding some of it interesting, but all very different from my experience as an Undergraduate member of my sorority. The more I read, though, the more I wonder how much of it is actually true. And how much of it is exaggerated or speculation.

In any case, I read some reviews this morning after reading a section this morning that felt not only like speculation but also rather condescending.

Many of these reviews state that they wish a sorority women would write a response to the book. They say they'd love to read the experiences of someone who has actually been a part of Greek Life instead of just reading about possible experiences from a journalist's point of view. Because, really, negativity sells, right?

Now, I can't say whether the experiences described in Pledged are entirely truthful or not. I don't know any of the sources, and so I can only tell you about my experiences and how they differ from the one's highlighted in Pledged.

That said, as I continue to read the book, I'll post my personal experiences here and how they compare to the experiences in the book. Then, hopefully, you all reading this can go out and make your own decisions about Greek Life.

Comments

Popular Posts