Going Back To School

Before I start this post, I want to apologize for not posting as much as I was earlier in the year. I decided to go back to school for an additional certificate on my degree (hence this post's title). This is taking up a lot more of my time than I had anticipated. However, I'm still going to be blogging at least once a month for the duration of the classes so please bear with me.

That said, here are some things I've learned about myself and the concept of going back to school after you've been gone for a few years.

This semester is the first semester I've actually been back on a campus for a class in 4-5 years. The last two classes I took for this certificate were online, on my time. Actually being back in a classroom with a dedicated time slot is a huge transition for me. I'm used to studying on my own, asking questions as I need to, and coming in for exams. Now, sitting in a classroom with a professor and a bunch of other students, I've never felt so out of touch.

My first few weeks back on campus, younger students thought I was a professor. I came to class straight from work, still in my work clothes, carrying my work briefcase (which is on wheels) with a giant cup of Starbucks in my hand. Now, the other students act like I don't even exist. (So maybe that means I am starting to fit in after all).

The other thing I've realized is how much, this professor at least, makes the class feel so much younger than we are in my opinion.

I'm taking a night class, which is scheduled for 3.5 hours once a week, but realistically could get out at least an hour earlier. Every week when class starts, the professor goes over every single homework problem and reteaches them. In my four years of undergrad (and even in some of my HS classes) professors did not do this. You were considered old enough and mature enough to get your homework done on your own and ask questions if you needed something to be further explained.

What I've learned from this class is how much I've grown since I first went to college. I no longer care about how ridiculous I look on campus with my giant rolling briefcase, and I don't want or need a professor to hold my hand through every lesson. Instead, I'd rather my professors assume that I have the maturity level to know that I'm going to need to study on my own and ask questions in order to pass. Actually, I think I felt that way when I was going to college the first time too, so maybe I'm just weird.

I've realized that going back to school is a huge transition for me, and one that I'm still trying to work out. If I feel like this one class is so draining, I'm not sure how I made it through going to school full time while working and being an active member in my sorority and Panhellenic Association. I have to give so much credit to the young women who manage to multitask their way through everything they accomplish as an undergraduate. I really can't remember or imagine how they accomplish everything they do on a daily basis at this point in my life.

Here's to only having two more classes before I earn the certificate, and hopefully the transition back to school will get easier before then. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 9 & 10

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20