2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Book 2


I recently decided to follow the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge for 2019 (you can see the prompt list in my 2019 Reading Challenge Overview post or on the popsugar.com website), and wanted to give some thoughts on the books that I'm reading for it this year. Some of these books will be outside of my comfort zone, and some will be books I would've read with or without the challenge.

So without further ado, here are my thoughts on the 2nd book that I've read this year.

Book 2: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald The Original Screenplay by JK Rowling

I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads.


The prompt I chose for this was "A book that makes you feel nostalgic." I grew up on the Harry Potter books and movies, and I love that there's new books and movies still coming out from the Harry Potter universe. Granted, I don't get dressed up as Luna anymore to go to the midnight releases, but it does make me remember the days that I did.



I really wanted to love this book. The first screenplay was a lot of fun, but this one seemed a lot more convoluted. At the time I read it, I still hadn't seen the movie yet, and I think that might have made the screenplay feel a lot more complicated. I felt like there were a lot of little moments, extra characters, and strange character developments that didn't fit with the overall plot or theme of the first book.

There was one character in particular (and I won't say which one because spoilers) that I felt really confused with the development of. I don't understand that characters motives and actions when compared to the character in the first screenplay.

I was also disappointed with the (again spoilers sorry) cliffhanger at the end. I liked that the first screenplay wrapped up in a way that a second screenplay was possible but not necessary. This screenplay only really told half the story, and that makes me dislike it as a stand alone book.

Side note: I'm still waiting for my owl.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 1 & 2