2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 21 & 22


I know I've said this before, but I'm really enjoying this challenge because it's getting me to read books that I might have thought looked interesting, but may not have picked up quite as quickly. I'm enjoying how much it broadens my horizons. Also, it's helping to keep off reader's block (kind of like writer's block only where I don't read for a while because I can't find a book I want to read next).

You can see the prompt list in my 2019 Reading Challenge Overview post or on the popsugar.com website.

Here are my thoughts on the 21st and 22nd books that I've read this year.

Book 21: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

I gave this book 5/5 stars on Goodreads.

The prompt I chose for this was "An own voices book"


This was one of those books that really makes you think. I had a lot of thoughts and feelings while reading this book, and to be honest, I'm not quite sure how to put all of them into words. 

This book showed a glimpse into some of the things that members of a different culture and background from my own may be facing that I did not at the age of the main characters (or any age really).

It was a really thought provoking book, and I think that it would be best discussed in a book club, open discussion, style setting. It's one of those books that you almost need to talk about out loud. 

I love books that make me think, and help me better understand (if even a little bit) what people from different backgrounds or parts of the world may experience differently than myself. This book fulfilled both of those points, and I think many people of all backgrounds could benefit from reading it, or at least discussing the points it brings up.


Book 22: Windhaven by Lisa Tuttle and George R.R. Martin

I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads.

The prompt I chose for this was "A book you meant to read in 2018"


There were parts of this book that were incredibly interesting to me, and parts that didn't resonate as much.

The book is set in a world of mostly oceans with many little islands scattered around the planet. The oceans are incredibly dangerous to cross even by boat, and so many individuals do not ever leave the island in which they were born. The main people that travel between the islands carrying messages are flyers. The flyers are an elite, skilled group whose wings are passed down from generation to generation. Until now. The book follows the adoptive daughter of one of the flyers who has to fight for her wings, and in the process changes the world.

The book follows Maris, the adoptive daughter of a flyer, throughout her life and different political landscapes she has to face in between.

I loved the beginning of this book when Maris was young and learning to fly. The first arc of the book and the political world woven into it intrigued me. I loved all of the characters and felt that they helped develop the plot along as we learned more about them.

In the next few arcs or time frames of the book, I unfortunately found that I was less interested in the continuing politics of the world Maris lives in. Although I understood how each transition took place, they just didn't draw me in the same way that first section did.

Then, by the end of the book, I was intrigued again. My favorite section was still the beginning, but I enjoyed the ending as well.

I typically love everything that George R. R. Martin writes or collaborates on. He's the King Midas of authors; everything he touches turns to gold. This book was a bit different than his other stuff I've read, but I would still recommend it to fans of his and fans of books with a little bit of fantasy and a lot of world building, particularly politics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 3