2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 36 & 37


For continuing readers, thank you!

New readers, welcome! This year, I decided to take the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. For more information, check out my Overview post or visit the Pop Sugar website.

Now for the book reviews: 

Book 36: Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple


I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads. I was torn between 3.5 and 4 but chose to round up.

The prompt I chose for this was "A Book with a Question in the Title."


Bernadette Fox is a stressed out mom trying to make life work for her and her family in Seattle, but she's reached a breaking point. When things start to fall apart around her and somewhat because of her, she disappears. Her daughter, Bee, begins trying to track down her mom and learn about why her mom disappeared by combing through emails, texts, news paper articles, etc (basically anything she can get her hands on). Bernadette's husband tries to deal with the fact that his wife has vanished, his personal life is in shambles, and he promised his daughter a trip to Antarctica right before his wife disappeared. 

I love that there are so many questions and loose ends that get tied up in this book. I was really curious and enthralled particularly by Bee and Bernadette, but also intrigued to see how her husband would deal with everything. 

There were some characters and plot points (mostly around Bernadette's husband) that I wasn't as excited about, but I understand using them to try and round out the story.

I really enjoyed the style of writing, and trying to solve the mysteries through various forms of media. You get to see all of the pieces that Bee used to try to piece together what happened, and I think that's pretty cool.

Book 37: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon


I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads. 

The prompt I chose for this was "A Book Becoming a Movie in 2019." Technically when I read it, the book had already become a movie, but I counted it anyway.


Natasha and Daniel are teenagers that have nothing in common, and have only just met. This is the story of their meet-cute. Will there be romance or will the universe have other plans for them?
Natasha immigrated from Jamaica as a young girl; however, when he father gets in an accident, her family is marked for deportation... tomorrow. Natasha is trying to change her fate, when she meets Daniel.
Daniel is the son of immigrants. His family has very specific ideas for his future, and he has always listened to their advice.... until he meets Natasha. Now will he decide to stay on his parents' path or choose his own?

I found myself falling in love with these characters and getting really invested in all of the intricacies of their stories. I don't want to go into too much detail about how I loved this book for spoiler purposes, but if you're looking for a cute but dramatic love story, this is perfect for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 3