2019 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 44


Welcome new readers and welcome back continuing readers!

As some of you know, this year, I've been participating in the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge; you can find out more info in my Overview post or on the Pop Sugar Website.

I'm only reviewing one book this week for a number of reasons. First, life's been kind of hectic between work and getting engaged! And trying not to annoy my fiance (still so strange to call him that) too much with beginning to wedding plan. Also, in addition to the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge, I decided to try the NEWTS reading challenge inspired by Harry Potter, and I'm working on getting a post together about that. 

The challenge was created by this wonderful youtuber: Book Roast NEWTS. I'll have more on what I decided to do for NEWTS (plus a review of the 45th book I read this year next week.)

Here is my book review for my 44th book of 2019:

Book 44: Dragonology Chronicles: The Dragon's Eye by Dugald A. Steer


I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads.

The prompt I chose for this was "A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature."



This book is the first book in the Dragonology Chronicles series. It follows two siblings who are sent by their parents to a family friend's boarding school of sorts for the summer. Except, once the children get there, they learn that they won't be just learning the usual subjects you learn at school, but also about different dragons and how to care for/approach/etc known as Dragonology. While there, they get caught in a web of Dragonology politics around who will be the lead Dragonologist. One Dragonologist wants the title, despite the fact that the dragons choose who will be their human liaison, and he will do anything to get the artifacts to trick his way into the roll. The children embark on a quest with the help of their teacher (and of course some dragons) to stop him.

A few months ago, my mom found a table top game called Dragonology in her house. Being that I think dragons are incredibly interesting, my fiance (then boyfriend) and I decided to play. It was a cute game that I think could be played with children or a group of adult friends (following the minimum age recommendations on the box of course). When I found the book at a thrift store, I knew I needed to buy it and loved that it fit perfectly with this prompt.

The book is just as cute as the game. I love the characters of the children, and how the sister makes a point to prove to her brother and other students that girls are just as smart as boys (even in the timeframe the book seems to be set). The plot was a fun, easy read. I think it could be a great introduction to fantasy for a lot of kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 3