Book Review: When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald




Thank you Andrew David MacDonald, Scout Press, and NetGalley for giving me an advanced copy of this book to review. (Image courtesy of Goodreads.com)

Zelda is a young adult with high functioning fetal alcohol syndrome. She has a love of vikings; when she discovers that her older brother Gert has gotten involved in some things she's not sure she approves of to make enough money to support them both, she decides to go on a quest to create her own legend and help support her tribe. Along the way she learns more about being the hero in your own story, and that sometimes people you meet will be both heroes and villains at the same time. In the end, it's up to her to decide how her story will turn out and who she still wants to be a part of it.

The more I read this book, the more I really loved Zelda's character and couldn't wait to see what her next decision would be. The whole time, I was rooting for her, Gert, AK47, and their tribe while at the same time realizing that everyone makes mistakes. Watching Zelda grow from who she was at the beginning of the book to who she became at the end was inspiring.

I'll admit, I was skeptical about what direction the book was heading in when I got to the point of learning about some of Gert's troubles and how Zelda was going to try and help, but I really didn't need to be. I loved all of the plot points and moments that helped move the story along to its end.

There were some characters that I was either rooting for or against, that completely turned around and shocked me, but I think that's what made their place in the story so good. It made it feel more realistic that people can surprise you.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. This is one of those books that I would definitely recommend to all of my friends. A great book to finish out the year with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 3