2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 7


Hello readers! 

Every once in a while, I might have weeks where I just don't read as quickly as others. These weeks will have one book per post, like this post. :) That said, I really enjoyed Book 7. I got it from the library specifically to be part of the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge (overview in a prior post or you can get the details on their website), and I'm so glad I did.

Here is my book review for my 7th book of 2020:

Book 7: Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber


I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads. 

This book is actually apparently the 5th in a series of books about different characters that live or work in the same area. However, I didn't read the first 4 yet and I felt this was a good stand-alone book as well.

It follows 38 year old Anne Marie who recently lost her husband as she tries to come to terms with being a widow and searches for meaning in her life again. She ends up getting together with a group of fellow widows on Valentine's Day, and they decide to each create lists of 20 wishes for things that they've always wanted to do but never did. As Anne Marie is trying to figure out what to put on her list and where to start, she ends up volunteering at a school as a buddy for an 8-year-old girl named Ellen. In a way neither expected, they end up changing each others' lives and helping each other achieve their dreams.  

I thought this was a really easy, lighthearted read. It had parts that brought out different emotions, of course (there were definitely some tears), but in a really good way. It was overall a pleasant read. All of the characters were lovable, and their relationship developments warmed the heart even when they were predictable.

This book made me go back to my old lists of wishes I had created for myself over the years and revisit them. It was a nice exercise, and let me really see what is still important to me, what I can let go of, and what I've already accomplished without realizing they were wishes in the past at all.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a feel-good, chick-lit book. I'm going to have to check out the other Blossom Street books now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 1 & 2