2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 5 & 6


Here are my thoughts on the 5th and 6th books that I read for the 2019 Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. For more information check out my 2019 Reading Challenge Overview post, or look up the challenge on popsugar.com.

Book 5: Nancy Drew and The Secret of the Forgotten City by Carolyn Keene

I gave this book 2/5 stars on Goodreads.

The prompt I chose for this was "A Book Featuring an Amateur Detective." 



I really loved Nancy Drew growing up, and thought that this was the perfect prompt to revisit one of the old Nancy Drew books that I hadn't read. I chose this one, because I majored in Anthropology in college and thought it would be a fun way to tie Nancy Drew into something more recent in my life. 

Unfortunately, I was so disappointed in this book. (Disclaimer: I'm sorry if there's some minor spoilers in my description of why.) 

First, the anthropology major in me has serious issues with how the artifacts were mistreated in certain scenes of the book, and how some of the characters were just oblivious to the culture surrounding the archaeological site. 

Also, the characters felt so drastically underdeveloped to me, and I felt a little bit of an issue with how some of the characters were described or talked about. 

Granted, I know this book was written in a different time, but it just didn't age well, in my opinion, to remain relevant with today's girls.

Book 6: Vision in White (Bride Quartet #1) by Nora Roberts

I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads.

The prompt I chose for this was "A Book that Includes a Wedding." 


I actually thought that this book was a cute, easy, beach read (but I read it in winter) about a group of friends. It included the love of friendship and romantic love. 

The quartet follows four friends that started a wedding business together. Book 1 follows the photographer. I felt, over the course of the book, that I came to understand her character, motives, and really enjoyed reading about her and her photography.


I definitely recommend this book if you want a fun, easy, romantic read. I am also excited to pick up the rest of the series (maybe later in the year; though my to-read list is getting pretty outrageous.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 3