2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 7 & 8




This year, I'm participating in the 2019 Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. (For more information check out my 2019 Reading Challenge Overview post, or look up the challenge on popsugar.com.) 

Here are my thoughts on the 7th and 8th books that I read.

Book 7: Goosebumps: The Barking Ghost by R.L. Stine

I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads.

The prompt I chose for this was "A Ghost Story." 


I loved the Goosebumps books as a kid (even if they scared me a bit) so when I saw the ghost story prompt, I knew the book I chose would have to be Goosebumps.

As I was reading this book, I couldn't help but think that I probably did read it as a kid, and as a kid it probably terrified me. However, I didn't remember how it ended, and so I was still excited to finish it.

This book, being that it was written for kids, was a very quick book for me to read (possibly only a few hours; definitely no more than a day).

The plot was interesting and silly, and the ending was not what I expected. I do think that although it was a fun book as an adult, it was probably a little bit dark and scarier for kids to read (which I think is kind of the point).

Book 8: Resisting Happiness by Matthew Kelly

I gave this book 2/5 stars on Goodreads. (Though I seriously considered giving it only 1 star)

The prompt I chose for this was "A Book With a Two Word Title." 


I was given this book for free from church, and unfortunately it took me just over 2 years to finally finish it.

It's a self-help style book that I knew (being that I got it from church) would have religious tones, but some of the chapters felt like the religious aspect was kind of being forced into it. Personally, I felt that the writing style could've benefited from a bit more of a smooth, seamless flow if the author wasn't trying so hard to make sure religion tied into every chapter.

Don't get me wrong, some of the chapters were really meaningful to me at whatever stage of my life I was in while reading them, but others were just tedious and difficult to get though.

I did recommend this book to someone who I felt would enjoy it more than I did, but I would really only recommend it if you are religious (Christian or Catholic mostly), or trying to find more religion in your daily life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews: Book 3