2019 Reading Challenge Reviews: Books 40 & 41


Welcome new readers and welcome back continuing readers!

This year, I've been participating in the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge; you can find out more info in my Overview post or on the Pop Sugar Website.

Here are my book reviews for my 40th and 41st book of 2019:

Book 40: Babe: The Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith


I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads. 

The prompt I chose for this was "A book you see someone reading on tv or in a movie." (This was on the Rory Gilmore reading list).



Farmer Hogget wins Babe the piglet at a fair, and takes him home planning to one day have him for dinner. However, Babe gets adopted by a sheepdog named Fly and learns to herd sheep as well. Over the course of the book, Babe teaches readers and Fly alike not to judge a book by its cover, and that sometimes being polite gets you a lot farther than trying to force people to listen to you.

I thought this was a cute, easy read, and could be fun to read with kids before or after watching the movie.

However, you can definitely tell it was written a long time ago and is a classic. It does age fairly well, but there is some language and styling that might need some explanation if reading with kids.

Book 41: Watership Down by Richard Adams


I gave this book 5/5 stars on Goodreads. 

The prompt I chose for this was "A reread of a favorite book."



Disclaimer: this is my all-time favorite book. There was a point in time where I would reread it every year just because. I'll try to keep the review short and sweet, and I also think I'll have some new ideas after discussing this book with my friends in our book club, so maybe in the future I'll create a post to discuss it more then.

The book follows a group of rabbits as they escape the destruction of their old warren and try to find a home for themselves in a new one. They meet many different types of animals and other rabbits along the way, have to fend off danger from man and other predators, and have to come up with creative solutions to problems they may not have thought of when they first set out (for example: if they don't find female rabbits to join them, they'll never be able to have a next generation in their new home).

I really, really love this book. It's been my favorite since I first read it sometime around 5th grade. I love that it follows a group of rabbits as they traverse their landscape dealing with some issues that apply to humans as well. I love that every time I read it, I learn something new. I'm excited to discuss it with my book club, because I'm sure they'll share some insights that I didn't think of for myself. I'm also sure they have more knowledge of what historical events might have been happening at the time it was written to influence the author. These are things I'm not always the best at picking up on on my own, and I'm really intrigued to hear what my friends think of my favorite book.

If you've read any of the books I review and want to share / discuss your thoughts add some comments and we can chat. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 1 & 2