2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 42 & 43


Welcome new readers and welcome back continuing readers!

This year, I've been participating in the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge; you can find out more info in my Overview post or on the Pop Sugar Website.

Here are my book reviews for my 42nd and 43rd book of 2019:

Book 42: The $1,000 Challenge by Brian J. O'Connor


I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads, but may have given it 2.5 if half stars were available.

The prompt I chose for this was "A book with pop, sugar, or challenge in the title."


The author of this book was at the time of writing a personal finance columnist that decided to try a challenge for himself and his family in a time of financial strain where he lived. His goal: over 10 weeks, cut $100 a month from 10 different categories to total $1000 a month in savings.

The author was funny at times, and the writing style was easy enough to get through. However, some of the items that he brings up as savings either don't apply to me at this point in my life or seem to be out dated now.

That said, it did make me start looking at what I'm spending my money on and come up with a plan of my own, so I guess the book kind of worked for me in the end.

Book 42:  Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart


I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads. 

The prompt I chose for this was "A novel based on a true story."


This novel follows the Kopp sisters, but mostly Constance Kopp as she becomes one of the first female deputy sheriffs in the USA. One day Constance and her two sisters take their horse and buggy into town to run some errands, when they get hit by an automobile. Constance's youngest sister is minorly injured in the crash, and the buggy is severely damaged. When Constance asks the owner of the automobile to reimburse them for fixing the buggy, and the automobile owner is not exactly friendly, the sisters' journey into law enforcement begins.

I was intrigued by this story because it is based on a true story (and one set in NJ that I hadn't known about before).

Towards the beginning of the book, I was a little skeptical because the story started out slow, but once the plot started to pick up I was enthralled in what would happen next to the sisters and the book became really exciting.

I enjoyed the dynamic the sisters shared, their personalities and family drama (as portrayed in the book; I'm not sure how accurate all of that was to the actual sisters and how much was creative license). I also really loved that the sisters proved to a world that wasn't ready to hear it yet, just how powerful and independent women can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 23 & 24

2019 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 19 & 20

2020 Reading Challenge Reviews - Books 1 & 2